Saturday, February 7, 2009

Getting to Anand

I have boarded three planes, been glued to different seats, sat next to unknown family members, but 26 hours later I stepped foot on foreign land. Even though this is my third trip to India, the mental and physical separation distances me from my family’s roots. My driver, who has been hired by the sponsoring organization, the Combat Blindness Foundation (CBF), flags me down with his right hand. I get comfortable in this white Chevy van for the 45-minute ride to Anand, my place of residence for one week. I quickly shower the dust off my body and get a quick snack or “nasta,” as they say in my language, with my two uncles and aunt.

2 comments:

  1. Its too nice that you go through major causes of blindness in India and its malnutrition which causes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anand is my birthplace Ashish, can't believe you went all the way across the world to fulfill SNPHA's mission of serving underserved.

    ReplyDelete