Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 4: Sankheda



I braced myself as we drove for hours into the outskirts, the van bouncing up and down, to come to a facility hidden to the side behind the local markets. This was the only hospital in a 50-mile radius, and that was an under estimate. The director and ophthalmologist of the facility were anxiously awaiting us as they gathered all the patients from inside to greet us. They did not know who and what we were there for, but upon notification they could not stop thanking us. This was another facility we sponsored to hold an eye camp and perform as many surgeries as possible. It was here I could see, feel, hear and smell the impact and reach of our efforts. These were villagers who live off 2 to 3 United States dollars a day, and that would support a family of four. I had the opportunity to have tea and biscuits with them, as some would look down on this. I was able to interact and understand their pains and sufferings, not ones of misfortunate, but one of wanting to do good for my people and country. Upon departure, my family gave each patient either a dotti (male clothing) or a sari (female clothing). It was at this point in my trip that I realized I wanted to funnel my energy internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment