Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 6: Meghraj




I was told the best was for last. Did that mean the worst of the worst or the best of the worst? I could not decipher and did not realize this would now become the backbone of a new chapter. One would not believe the conditions, from patient rooms to the pharmacy to the corridor of the hospital. Many would refuse care then step inside, but the villagers valued this as their second home. This was the only hospital in a 70-mile radius, and I can only describe the conditions with pictures. I was taken aback when my camera battery died on me. I did not want to miss one moment or one shot as a renewed life was about to begin. I was set on making this my project. I wanted to become more involved, find ways to improve the care, solicit more resources, and continue to fight. At this site, my uncle and I had the opportunity to visit two patients in the village and perform an interview. You never really feel peoples’ pain and suffering until you invade their territory. You see and feel the daily struggles to survive another day.



My last day in India would be one of relaxation and reflection. What had happened that week? What was happening back home? Of all my trips to India this was the first time I did not want to leave. I made a connection; I would not say it was love, but a mutual attraction. One of a growing relationship in the fight to do better. I enter the local airport in my state and wave good bye. Or was it a wave of welcome. All I know is that I was already planning for my next trip.






No comments:

Post a Comment