Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 5: Bhavnagar



Bhavnagar is different but more unique. The creation of an eye hospital sprouted from the efforts of a holy priest. One of the priest’s sons is an ophthalmologist who is interested in offering these services. The “uniqueness” pertains to the patient population; this was the only facility in Gujarat that served leprosy patients. I have never seen or met a leprosy patient and did not know what to expect. They were no different but were looked at as outcasts in India.




One patient in particular froze me on my tracks. He had lost his finger and his toes to the disease. He could not afford medical equipment and crawled and rolled as means of transportation. He wore a Harley Davidson tee from Nashville. This was an individual who brings a smile to my face. He was why I came to India to not only do good for my country but to learn about myself. These are the snapshots that will constantly flicker in my mind as I set at my desk at home in the United States drawing up plans to further the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment